Dealing with Cancer
FYI & Tips
Make a Donation
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Cancer Treatment Info
Your body may be telling you that it needs protein, which helps to rebuild damaged body tissue. Protein can be found in fish, lean meat, eggs, soy, beans…you can even try peanut butter on toast!
And exercise when you can – walk for a half-hour!
Did you know?
If you have a metallic taste in your mouth after chemo – eat a pickle! It will change the chemistry in your taste buds and you will get your appetite back!
If you take radiation treatments they may tell you not to wear deodorant. You can in fact wear deodorant, as long as it does not have metallic flakes in it. Look for “the rock” crystal deodorant in health stores.
If you are getting a mammogram – stop drinking caffeine 24 hours before. Caffeine makes your breast more sensitive and those “slam-ograms” can be a tight squeeze.
- Blanket/prayer quilt
- Books/Kindle and magazines
- Adult coloring book and pencils
- Word find books/puzzles books
- iPad & movies
- Hand lotion
- Lip Balm
- Phone and charger
- Ice packs
- Chair cleaning supplies
- Neck Pillow
- Faith & Gratitude Cancer Resource Guide
- Pictures of family
- Saltine crackers
- Deck of cards
- A buddy
Local, State & National Support for Those Diagnosed With Cancer
- Cancer Bridges (formerly Our Clubhouse & Cancer Caring Center) supports those impacted by cancer through a variety of free programs and services www.cancerbridges.org
- Cure Magazine- Combining science with humanity, Cure makes cancer understandable http://www.curetoday.com
- Co-Pay Relief and Prescription Assistance Programs Click here for a listing of national programs
- National Cancer Assistance Foundations Click here for a listing of national foundations offering financial assistance from co-pay to rent and utility payment assistance
- Cancer.gov Click here for information from The National Cancer Institute
- PA Breast Cancer Coalition works in patient support, research and PA government action https://www.pabreastcancer.org/
- Alliance in Reconstruction Surgery Foundation (AiRS) breast reconstruction grant funding https://airsfoundation.org/apply-for-grant/
- Young Adult Survivors United Pittsburgh based community for young adult cancer survivors and co-survivors https://www.yasurvivors.org
- AHN Offers Free Care & Cosmetics Classes for All Cancer Patients. Call for class dates, times, and registration: 412-565-9021
What Is Hair Peace?
Hair Peace Charities Helps women and girls, who live in western Pennsylvania with financial assistance to purchase a wig needed due to cancer. Hair Peace also offers cancer-fighting information, encouragement, and faith with support groups. Hair Peace Charities will provide up to $250 towards a purchase of a wig.
To Receive Financial Assistance for the purchase of a wig, individuals must speak with Bonny by calling 412-327-5177. Determination of assistance needed along with a list of supporting salons will be provided at that time. Salons cannot request assistance on behalf of clients.
Hair Peace Charities helps with the funds to purchase a wig. Cancer treatment is expensive with time off work and copays.
We offer to pray for each person who calls for help. Our prayer team also mails cards of encouragement and hope.
We have the Bridge to Wellness, support groups and information to help while in treatment and beyond.