What to Expect
wig salon visit
Make a Donation
Sign Up for our Newsletter
What Can I Expect on a Salon Visit
- When is it time to go to a salon? – As soon as you have your chemo sessions scheduled. Usually, your hair starts coming out 13 – 15 days after the first treatment.
- Should I get a human hair wig? – They are very expensive and if you are going to lose your hair for a short time it may not be necessary to purchase such an expensive and high-maintenance wig.
- Can people tell I’m wearing a wig? – Not really. Many of the synthetic wigs are a reasonable price and you can’t tell it’s a wig.
- Is a wig hot & uncomfortable? – The wig salon can show you how to place your wig so it’s very comfortable to wear. The wigs usually have netting that allows air to circulate.
- What if my wig comes off? – Usually, double-sided adhesive tape made especially for wearing a wig helps hold it in place.
- Are wigs expensive? – Prices vary. Synthetic wigs look great and can be reasonable. Human hair wigs can be very expensive.
- Will I have to sit out in public when trying on a wig? – Most salons have a private area available for you to try on different wigs.
- When can I tell I’m losing my hair? Hair loss will start out slowing in bits and pieces. Your hair will “hurt” or feel like it’s in a tight ponytail.
- Why can’t I just buy a wig out of a catalog or off the internet? Usually, these are not quality wigs and will not fit properly. It is most important to get fitted for a wig at a quality salon.
- How long until my hair grows back? Just a few short weeks after your last chemo treatment your hair will start to grow back. The texture at first may be different and will change over the next month or two.
- Do I choose synthetic or human hair? This depends on how long you need a wig, A nice synthetic blend can last up to one year and are easy to care for. Human hair needs all the attention your real hair would need with styling.
- How do I care for my wig? – This can vary. All care instructions should be given at the salon.
You can be assured, you will leave the salon not only looking good but feeling better.
What Is Hair Peace?
Hair Peace Charities Helps women and girls, who live in western Pennsylvania with financial assistance to purchase a wig needed due to cancer. Hair Peace also offers cancer-fighting information, encouragement, and faith with support groups. Hair Peace Charities will provide up to $250 towards a purchase of a wig.
To Receive Financial Assistance for the purchase of a wig, individuals must speak with Bonny by calling 412-327-5177. Determination of assistance needed along with a list of supporting salons will be provided at that time. Salons cannot request assistance on behalf of clients.
Hair Peace Charities helps with the funds to purchase a wig. Cancer treatment is expensive with time off work and copays.
We offer to pray for each person who calls for help. Our prayer team also mails cards of encouragement and hope.
We have the Bridge to Wellness, support groups and information to help while in treatment and beyond.